Purpose: This article would be of a great interest for those who are engaged in Microsoft Dynamics GP, SharePoint and specifically Business Portal.
One of the critical steps encountered during creating an “Approval Hierarchy” for Requisitions Management – Business Portal is “granting access to users on BP”.
Therefore, it is quite essential to understand the user access across these integrated systems (MS GP, SP and BP).
Initially, it is of a considerable benefit to shed a light on a quick overview for the following definitions;
- SharePoint is a web-based platform that is best used for content management and collaboration across the organization, and much more.
- Business Portal – Dynamics GP utilizes the use of SharePoint sites and their contents (Lists and Libraries) in order to grant users access on GP data without the need to work on GP Client. Needless to say that Business Portal operates on the top of SharePoint Platform
- BP – Requisitions Management: an application within business portal that service organizations in entering, approving and managing purchases in order to eliminate the need for paper-based systems in handling purchase requests. Furthermore, approved purchases on BP are transferred automatically into Dynamics GP into either a new or existing purchase orders.
Unlike SharePoint, when it comes to creating an approval hierarchy within BP - requisitions management for the first time, you will encounter a semi problem illustrated with not finding your active directory users!
In order for users to be granted an access on the requisitions management, technician should be well aware of the following steps;
- Granting users access on SharePoint sites
- Granting users access on Business Portal
Granting users access on SharePoint sites
You can either manually add individual users or add all “domain users” into one of the following groups, depending on the business security risks
To grant access on SharePoint for users,
Go to SharePoint Home Page > Site Settings > Permissions
Granting users access on Business Portal
The problem that technician might encounter is “Not finding the Active Directory Users” on the User-List web part within Business portal. Regardless of the fact that these users are already seen by SharePoint. As shown below;
|Business Portal - User List WebPart|
In order to handle this issue, users shall be assigned to Microsoft Business Framework (MBF) role. On the other hand, users should have been already granted an access on SharePoint sites.
“The ability to enter requisitions is controlled by the user’s MB role assignments. The Read permission level applies only to modifying the page itself and any SharePoint content on the page.”
In order to assign users to MBF role, the following steps shall be applied;
- On the top-level Business Portal Website > Site Settings
- Click on Business Portal Administration
- Click Users
- In the bottom of the left corner, Click Add New User and the user wizard appears.
- The first step on the User Wizard is to select the domain from which you want to create Business Portal Users
- Choose All Users > Next
- You need to assign users to Advanced Roles (Employees, Vendors, Customers .etc.)
- Assign Users to Portal Roles
- Click Finish and the new users will be added to MBF Roles.
|Top Level Business Portal Website - Site Settings|
Mahmoud M. AlSaadi